Thursday, March 22, 2007

Weekend Drag Racer

For 12 years my daughter has been hauled to the drag strip to watch her dad race. Her weekends with my ex husband have always revolved totally around his hobby. Long ago, he told her when she got big enough he would put her in a Jr. Dragster. Year in and year out she watched and waited. Age nine came and went with no dragster, age 10, then 11 and now 12. In June she will be 13; yet she watches and waits on the sidelines for her chance to race.

As she waits on the promised dream to become a reality she is often frustrated. Her dad told her he would buy her the dragster yet she watches him put more money into his own car. She hangs out at her friend Elisa's trailer (a Jr. racer) and envies her.

Today we will go look at a car. If a good one, I will buy it for her. The empty promises made by her dad will no longer be an issue. She will no longer be dragged from race to race and unable to participate. She will be a Jr. Drag Racer.

2 comments:

mist1 said...

I need to learn how to read. I thought the first sentence of this post was, "For years, my husband has dragged my 12 year old daughter to strip clubs."

Robin said...

Too funny!