Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The Reality of Online Dating

As many of you know, I am an online dater. At times I don't date at all and at other times I date quite a bit. One guy I have been talking to for four years. On our first (and only) date, upon first sight my heart fell to my feet and I fell head over heels in love. Unfortunately, I shared the information with the date…big mistake. He was so scared it took him 22 months to ask me out again. We now talk by phone every few weeks or so and have a tentative second date scheduled. I'm curious as to how I will feel when I see him now.

I am talking to another guy by instant messenger who at first sounded promising, but today he said he wanted to see me on my webcam and talk to me on the microphone. I hate those things and told him so. He said, it's only fair since I got to see him on his webcam (a request I did not make). I'm an old fashioned gal and told him that if he wants to see me and talk to me then he can ask me out for a date. He replied that he has lost his spine. I will no longer talk with him online as a spine is a requirement in the men I date.

Another guy I met a few months back I have dated five times. At first, it seemed very promising. We talked for hours by telephone and there was some chemistry between us. Our fourth date was the best and I could see us possibly becoming a couple. Unfortunately, he let quite a bit of time lapse after that before the fifth date and my interest had dwindled considerably.

Another guy I'm talking to lives a good distance away. His schedule is the exact opposite and four hours distance would pose a problem. Although, we have agreed to meet for lunch when he is up this way on business this relationship will probably never take off due to distance constraints. I also have not heard from him in a few days.

I had a seventh date with another guy last night. Our date consisted of meeting each other at the funeral home for a receiving. I consider it a date because we met at a specific time to go together. We sat in the car after the funeral receiving and talked, flirted and kissed. I have had many dates in my four years of online dating but have to say that was the first funeral date I attended. This date is the reason I am not getting any sleep. He calls every night and we talk for hours. I know I could hang up but find myself enjoying the conversation too much. He is very attentive and seems to be attune to me. There is a great amount of chemistry between us and we are very much alike. I did comment to him that I do not want to date myself and being alike could pose problems. I am enjoying immensely his pursuit of me!

I am also intermittently talking to guys who I have dated during the past four years. Last night, my last ex-boyfriend contacted me via Yahoo Instant Messenger and we talked for an hour or so. I wish him luck in finding a new love and moving on with his life.

Since online dating, I have never had a bad date and I've met lots of interesting guys. I'm still met with the misconception that dating in this venue is a huge risk and find that quite amusing…preferably I should pick up strangers in bars or at the meat section at the grocery I guess!

Thanks to all my online dates who have treated me with respect, kindness, and admiration! You have inspired me and entertained me. You have made me laugh and you have made me happy. Hats off to all you great guys out there!

5 comments:

Cindy said...

You're one lucky lady. Every online date I've ever had has been a disaster... Some of it might be my fault, but.

Robin said...

I hate to hear that. I doubt it was your fault--some men are shits (I have been lucky)

Anne Brooke said...

Sounds great - go for it, Robin!

A
xxx

Anonymous said...

Hi Robin , I like the fact that you enjoy the way I`m pursuing you ,lol, and yes it was nice seeing you at the funeral home too,
I too enjoy our conversations on the phone till wee hours in the morning , heres to many more ....................................Robert

Robin said...

Robert, Thanks for reading my blog...how did you know it was you? Hmmm, could it have been the funeral home remark or the talking for hours on the telephone? I'm looking forward to Friday night...Robin