Thursday, March 1, 2007

The Fiction Writer's Guidebook and bird to bird

went to the library today and got a new card since I couldn't find mine. I owed a buck on mom's account from the overdue books...just hated turning in Writing Nonfiction but the librarian managed to wrench it from my clinging clawed hand. I've got 175 pages done in The Fiction Writer's Guidebook by Edwin Silberstang. Getting some good insight there and more of the " Show, Don't Tell" advice. Some points closely resemble Stephen King's On Writing. Points such as letting the characters lead the plot as opposed to coming up with the plot on your own...I like the idea of the book reaching its own end rather than determining what the end will be aforehand. Good advice, I think.

Tonight I read bird by bird by Anne Lamott that I picked up at the library earlier. Coincidently when I had got back home today it was in my mail box as well...I read it tonight after starting a fiction piece for a contest.... bird by bird was good but I got more technical advice from Silberstang.

No comments: