Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Update from North Carolina

Last Friday I went hiking at Chimney Rock Park which was a great stress reliever. Chimney Rock is located near Lake Lure, NC (the setting for the gazebo scene in the movie Dirty Dancing). Dr. Lucius Morse purchased 64 acres at the turn of the century to fulfill his dream of developing a park for all to enjoy. The park now has over 100 acres and is still owned by the Morse family. Scenes from various movies have been filmed at Chimney Rock. "The Last of the Mohicans" included quite a few scenes filmed at Chimney Rock. See video on side bar for a scene with the Falls in it!

My family and I have been traveling to Chimney Rock for years. A few years back my sister happened across a dirt road called "Hog Road" which led to a little dirt path called "Edge of the World". Traveling down this little goat path will lead you literally to what is the edge of the world. This awesome view is indescribable and if you happen to end up in Western North Carolina I highly encourage you to take a trip to the edge of the world.

The Chimney:

Hickory Nut Falls:




Hickory Nut Gorge:


Another view of the Gorge:



The Needle's Eye:




There are some interesting stories about Chimney Rock and the Hickory Nut Gorge. One involves a Presbyterian minister living there in 1806. There were eyewitnesses including the minister who reported seeing people (men, women, and children) flying around the side of Chimney Rock. The minister reported that the people were dressed in clothes so brilliantly white it hurt his eyes to look at them. Prior to that, the Cherokee Indians who inhabited the land had reported seeing such sights and they referred to them as "The Little People". When visiting Chimney Rock and the Hickory Nut Gorge you can well imagine the sight of angels or "the little people" floating around these inspiring hills.


Thanks to Robert for making the Chimney Rock day so memorable!




On another note, Lisa Vella (Getting it Write for You) tagged me with a meme asking "What Is Your Favorite Type of Writing?"


As a new writer, I don't think I have quite figured out what my favorite thing to write is. After publishing two little articles on Associated Content, I then jumped into a nonfiction book of which I have finished 103 pages and thrown on the back burner. The problem was after completing this many pages, I read another book about the same subject that said basically everything I had wanted to say. I had a gread idea but someone else beat me to it! In the process of writing this book, I found the passion and joy in writing! I then started working on more nonfiction articles (have since had one published) and also began delving into writing fiction.


Currently, I have a humorous short story in the fiction genre entered in a contest. I'm anxious to see if it makes it to the finals as I really enjoyed doing the piece. My challenge as a new writer is finding and making the time to write. There is such joy in the writing process that it is something I hope to learn to effectively incorporate into my life on a regular basis.


I am tagging:


Anne from Anne Brooke's Writing Journal


Dan from Dan's Blah Blah Blog


and Vickie M. Taylor



12 comments:

Lisa Vella said...

Robin,

Those pictues are lovely, and they look like wonderful places to visit. My husband and I love to visit scenic places when we travel so maybe we'll put them on our list of places to go!

As for the book, don't give up on it. You had a great idea, and so did someone else, but you can still write it by approaching it in a unique way that the other author did not think of. As for the writing contest, good luck!

Keep the blogs coming!

Have a great day!

Lisa

Jo said...

I've heard of Chimney Rock, and I recognize it from having seen it in movies. I love the legend surrounding it.

Great photos. I love reading of other folks' parts of the world, and that is one area I would like to see sometime.

Josie

Robin said...

Thanks guys! It was a great trip. We took the skyline-cliff trail loop which is a 1.5 - 2 hr hike.

Michelle Ann said...

Robin, those pictures were beautiful. If you love writing, I have discovered this blog, that at times has made me cry and laugh...it is glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com. It's a truly beautifully written blog by a woman that is truly in love with a man and food...two of my favorite interests as well!!!

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I can't believe these pictures because I lived near Hendersonville, NC, for many years, and spent all my spare time hiking in those mountains.

It has been posited that the Cherokee Little People are the same race of beings who are called Leprechauns in Ireland, and who go by other names in other countries.

Black Mountain is a truly magical place, too, and Brown Mountain has a strange and beautiful phenomenon - millions of tiny swirling lights that seem alive and can be observed sometimes on summer nights.

Lake Lure was the only beach around, and we went there often. My daughter's dance company did some scenes in Dirty Dancing, and I watched some of the filming of Mohicans.

Your pictures here are like a wonderful visit with old friends. Thank you, Robin.

Robin said...

I have often heard of the Black Mountain Lights but have never seen them...something I need to do! Glad you enjoy the pictures!

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I forgot to mention that I was an extra in Mohicans, and also got to gaze upon Daniel Day Lewis in an Asheville restaurant during filming.

He was yummy.

Anonymous said...

Robin, I`m glad that I helped make your day so enjoyable , Yes the trip was most wonderful especially since I got to spend it with you , sharing you with natures beauty , which pales in comparison to yours I might add .
I look forward to spending many more outings with you and taking lots more pictures , I hope we get to do it again really soon , your hiking buddy Robert .
PS you forgot to tell everyone how much fun it was climbing to the top of that waterfall !

mindy said...

i got dizzy just looking at those pictures.

Angel said...

the pictures are great...I see you have a picture of sunset at Topsail Beach...Topsail Island was my families very first vacation. It was great...small and very uncrowded. My kids were little so it was just what we needed.

Dan said...

Hi Robin! Those photos are wonderful. I'd love to hike there. We're avid hikers and hike nearly every weekend when there is time and the weather allows for it.

Thanks for thinking of me for this tag. That was very sweet of you. I'd like to answer the question here, in your comments, if I may.

My favorite type of writing is humor. It's tough being funny. When I try, it just doesn't happen. Usually funny things just come to me when I'm not trying to think of funny things.

On the other hand, what I enjoy reading most these days is philosophy. Taoism, Zen, Buddhism, Advaita and such.

Best of luck with that humorous short story. Is it online somewhere for all to read?

Have a great weekend, OK?

Robin said...

HeartsinSanfrancisco: Cool on being an extra and gazing on Daniel Lewis.

Robert: You are the master at flattery...you need to write sonnets.

Mindy: I got dizzy going up the needle's eye...I think coming down is easier.

Beth: I think I might being going to Topsail this sumemr...

Dan: The story is not online yet. The contest is in August so after that I'll post it. I went through a spell of reading philosphy...very interesting reads. Thanks for answering the tag.

Everyone thanks for posting!